Skip to main content

{{ root_page.title }}

How can I request an assessment?

An assessment can be requested for a child or young person aged between 0-25, by a parent/carer, by a young person or by the child.  Any professional working with your child can request that the Local Authority carries out a statutory assessment.  Requests are often made by the school SENCO or Headteacher of your child's education setting, but can be made anytime from birth to the age of 25.  You can talk to any of the people who support your child about a statutory assessment and, if they agree that an assessment is needed, they should sit down with you to complete the request form. 

You can also make a parental request for an assessment by writing to the SEND Team at the following address: 

SEN Team, Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL), Brierton Lane, Hartlepool, TS25 4BY. 

In your letter you should include your child's name, date of birth, which education setting they attend and your reasons why you feel that an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment is required. 

Parents/Carers can also talk to the SEND IASS Officer who can assist them in making a request for an assesment. 

The SEND IASS Officer can be contacted on 01429 284876 or email: