Skip to main content

Service summary

Do you need help with your rent?

A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is a special payment made to individuals where it is considered they need extra help with their rent. A DHP is not part of the normal Housing Benefit Scheme. The Council is given an amount of money to pay out each year on DHP's and can not spend more than the allocated amount given by the Government. Each application is considered on its own merit.

The Hartlepool Borough Council will need to establish the following with you:
•You must be entitled to Housing Benefit or Housing Element of Universal Credit.
•Your circumstances must mean you need extra help with your rent.
•The maximum DHP payment you are able to claim is the difference between your eligible rent and the amount of Housing Benefit you receive.
•A DHP cannot be paid as help towards rent arrears, council tax arrears or other loans or debt.

You must complete a DHP application form and return it to the Children's Hub in Civic Centre.

Service provider

Hartlepool Borough Council

Client Groups Served

  • Children and Young People
  • Adult Working Age
  • Older Person
  • Parent / Carer


Physical Environment Accessibility

Are your premises accessible?

Other Accessibility

Is a referral required to access your service?