Skip to main content

Service summary

Hartlepool SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS)

Hartlepool Information, Advice and Support Services plays a key role in promoting positive relationships between parents, children, young people, education providers, local authorities (LAs) and others. This is important in enabling children and young people with SEND to achieve their potential.
Hartlepool Information, Advice and Support Service will provide support in order to ensure that parents of children and young people with SEND are fully informed and involved in their child's education. Although the Information, Advice and Support Service are part of the LA, it operates independently from The SEND Education Services offering impartial advice, support and information.

The following Information, advice and support is available for parents, carers' children and young people through Hartlepool's Information, Advice and Support Service:

• Local policy and practice
• Help to request a Education, Health and Care Plan (In Hartlepool known as the One Plan)
• Independent Support to support parents, carers, children and young people though the statutory assessment process and transfer of Statements/LDA's to a Education, Health and Care Plan
• Someone to talk to in complete confidence
• An explanation of matters concerning SEND
• Help with filling in forms and expressing views
• Someone to attend meeting with
• Information on the Local Offer of Services
• Information Leaflets about special educational needs and or Disability
• Information around personalisation and Personal Budgets
• Law on SEN and disability, health and social care through suitability trained staff
• Advice for children, young people and parents on gathering, understanding and interpreting information and applying it to their own situation
• Information on the local authority's processes for resolving disagreements, mediation, it's complaints procedure and means of address

Service provider

Hartlepool Borough Council

Client Groups Served

  • Children and Young People
  • Adult Working Age
  • Parent / Carer
  • SEND Local Offer


Physical Environment Accessibility

Are your premises accessible?

Other Accessibility

Could you provide a BSL interpreter?
Do you cater for religious/cultural needs?
Is a referral required to access your service?