Skip to main content

{{ root_page.title }}

Community Transport

Bridge Card

The Bridge Card is free of charge and can be obtained from Passenger Transport Services (see contact details above).

The card was developed in partnership with the five Tees Valley Authorities and local bus operators to proivde support to any passenger whilst travelling on public transport. When you show your bridge card to the driver they will recognise that you may need extra help during your journey. This could be:

  • Extra time to get to your seat
  • Assistance with remembering which bus stop you get off the bus
  • Help with knowing which bus you need
  • Help with your fare or to count your money 
  • Use the bus features i.e. ramp to access the vehicle 

Bridge Card | Bridge Card | Hartlepool Borough Council

Concessionary Fares - are you eligible for a bus pass?

Pension Age 

The age of eligibility for concessionary travel for women is pension age and for men it is the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day. 

The state pension age for women is rising by five years over a period of ten years. The age of eligibility will rise in stages between 2010 and 2020. The earliest age for men and women to get bus passes will therefore rise gradually, from age 60 on 6 April 2010 to age 65 on 5 April 2020. 

To apply for a concessionary bus pass or check your eligibility click here:

Disability Bus Pass

Individuals who have any of the following disabilities may qualify for a disabled bus pass. Please note applicants may be required to attend a mobility assessment.

  • A Blue Badge holder for mobility purposes.
  • In receipt of the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance.
  • In receipt of a Personal Independence Payment with 8 points or more in the 'moving around' or 'communicating verbally' activities.
  • Blind or partially sighted.
  • In receipt of a War Pensioners Mobility Supplement.
  • Profoundly or severely deaf.
  • Without speech.
  • Without arms or has long-term loss of the use of both arms.
  • Living with a learning disability which is a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning.
  • Unable to apply for a driving licence under part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, pursuant to section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs and alcohol.
  • Suffering from a disability or has suffered an injury which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk

You'll need the following to apply:

  • Name, address and date of birth
  • Passport style photograph of the applicant (this can be provided at a later date if you are unable to upload it to the form)
  • Evidence of the condition

Home to School Transport

Transport will be provided free of charge for those pupils of Primary and Secondary school age who are travelling over the statutory walking distance to/from the main entrance of their nearest suitable school. The statutory walking distances are:

  • 2 miles up to the age of 11 years (primary pupils)
  • 3 miles from the age of 11 - 16 years (secondary pupils)

This minimum provision that Local Authorities must provide is set out in the Education Act 1944 (as amended by the Education Act 1986 and the Education Reform Act 1988).

The Education and Inspections Act 2006 also extends Local Authority duties and powers by extending entitlement to those from low income families, this is called 'Extended Rights'. These rights extend free transport to those who are entitled to free school meals and those whose parents are in receipt of the maximum level of Working Tax Credit and include transport to: 

  • There nearest schools between 2 and 6 miles from their home
  • To the nearest suitable school preferred on the grounds of religion or belief up to a distance of 15 miles from their home

Passenger Transport Services
Civic Centre
TS24 8AY

Telephone: 01429 523855 / Email: [email protected]

Tees Valley Rural Action

Tees Valley Rural Action (TVRA) offers a wide range of advice and support to voluntary and community groups in the rural areas of the Tees Valley.

Tees Valley Rural Action (TVRA) operates two transport schemes. Offering safe, reliable and affordable transport services for any voluntary sector or community group, along with rural residents of the Tees Valley who are experiencing genuine transport difficulties. These services rely heavily on volunteers. 

Volunteer Car Service

All our drivers are volunteers who use their own cars to provide a door to door car service for people over the age of 60 or people with a mobility problem who cannot access public transport.

Journeys can be arranged to take you to the hospital, the doctors or dentist, the optician, even the hairdressers or to visit friends. Really we can take you anywhere that you want to go. 

All cars must be pre-booked at least 2 days in advance but we do get very busy at certain times of the day, so please book your journey well in advance.

Our volunteer drivers can easily be identified with their badges after completing our training and DBS checks, they will offer to support you in and out of the car, and getting to your appointments. 

Mini Bus Scheme

As a member of the Community Transport Association, our mini bus transport service is a scheme to keep the voluntary organisations, sports clubs, community or faith groups, schools and charities of the Tees Valley on the Move. 'driveforwardteesvalley

Our two 16-seat fully wheelchair accessible minibuses can be booked with or without a driver for as little as a few hours or for as long as a weekend.

33-35 Cadcam Business Centre,
High Force Road,

Tel: (01642) 213852

Email: [email protected]