Skip to main content

{{ root_page.title }}

Health Insurance

If you are a United Kingdom resident and are travelling within the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you will need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to access reduced cost or free medical treatment abroad.

The EHIC replaced the E111 form in 2006.  E111 forms are no longer valid.

EHICs are free of charge.  Once you have completed an application, your EHIC will be posted to you.  You should allow seven days for your EHIC to arrive.

Apply for your EHIC online

You can find out more about the card and apply online on the EHIC website.  You will need to give your:

  • full name
  • date of birth
  • NHS number or National Insurance number.