Skip to main content

{{ root_page.title }}

Benefits Cap

From April 2013, the overall amount of benefit you can get may be capped.  The government will add up how much money you get from different benefits, including housing benefit, jobseeker's allowance, employment support allowance, child benefit, child tax credit and carer's allowance.  Your housing benefit will be reduced if the total comes to more than the maximum amount allowed.

If you think you are going to be affected by the benefit cap you can get more information from here where you will find a calculator which will give you an estimate of how much lower your Housing Benefit may be.

You can call the DWP on 0845 6057064 or textphone 0845 6088551 for general information about the benefit cap and details of support available to you - helpline open Monday-Friday 8-6pm.

You can find out about benefits, grants and allowances that are available, depending on your needs and circumstances and how to apply for them by visiting the GOV.UK website. There is also a lot of general information about benefits and other financial support available.