You can find out about benefits, grants and allowances that are available, depending on your needs and your circumstances, and how to apply for them by visiting the Gov.UK website.  There is also general information about benefits and financial support available on this site.

From the 8th April 2013 - the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for people aged 16 - 64 years of age who have a health condition or disability.  Most people who currently receive DLA will not be affected by the change until 2015 or later. 

The Motability Scheme is available to meet the costs of having a car, powered wheelchair or scooter through contract hire, leased car or hire purchase agreement.  The link will take you to a page explaining how the scheme works and how to check whether you are eligible for help. 

The Family Fund is a charity supporting low-income families who are caring for a severely disabled child under the age of 17. 

Benefits Cap 

From April 2013, the overall amount of benefit you can get may be capped.  The government will add up how much money you get from different benefits, including housing benefit, jobseeker's allowance, employment support allowance, child benefit, child tax credit and carer's allowance.  Your housing benefit will be reduced if the total comes to more than the maximum amount allowed.

If you think you are going to be affected by the benefit cap you can get more information from here where you will find a calculator which will give you an estimate of how much lower your Housing Benefit may be.

You can call the DWP on 0845 6057064 or textphone 0845 6088551 for general information about the benefit cap and details of support available to you - helpline open Monday-Friday 8-6pm.

You can find out about benefits, grants and allowances that are available, depending on your needs and circumstances and how to apply for them by visiting the GOV.UK website. There is also a lot of general information about benefits and other financial support available.

Income Support is extra money that you may be able to get if:

  • you are working less than 16 hours a week
  • have no income or a low income
  • have not signed on as unemployed.

Jobseeker's Allowance is at least £56.80 a week and is to help you while you look for work.

Employment and Support Allowance can offer financial support if you are unable to work or personalised help so that you can work it you are able to.

Online Benefits Calculator

Every year, more than £10 billion in benefits and tax credits goes unclaimed. The benefits system can be complicated, but it is important that you receive all the benefits that you are entitled to. For more information please use the sources of information and advice listed below to help you.

You can use the Council's online calculator to check your benefit entitlement. It will ask you to fill in details of your income and other information, such as whether or not you are disabled or have children. But you do not have to fill in your name or any personal details and your calculation will be anonymous and confidential.

Housing and council tax benefits

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit are provided by the Council.

Grants for heating and home insulation

If you receive certain benefits you may be eligible for a Warm Front grant. Find out if you qualify. For more information visit the Warm Front Website

Carers' Benefits Information 

If you spend at least 35 hours a week looking after someone you may be able to get a social security benefit as a full-time carer. You do not have to be living with the person you are caring for. For more information please visit the section on Carers and disability benefits.

If you would like to know more about 'Claiming Benefits':

Carer's Allowance

You will be taken to website for further information on Carer's Allowance:

Department for Work and Pensions

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy.


Support offered to Carers to ensure they are receiving their full entitlement of benefits.