Skip to main content

{{ root_page.title }}

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Help, information and Advice about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction is financial assistance to help pay for your rent and Council Tax. It is administered by Hartlepool Borough Council and is based on regulations set by the Government.


Housing Benefit 

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you're unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It's being replaced by Universal Credit.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following is true:

  • You have reached State Pension age and your partner, if you have one, is also of Pension Age 
  • You live in temporary accommodation
  • You live in supported accommodation. 

If not, you'll need to claim Universal Credit instead.

Use a benefits calculator to check if you can get Housing Benefit before you apply


Council Tax Reduction

Apply to your local council for Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support).

Council Tax Reduction replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013. 

You could be eligible if you're on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%.  You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working. 

What you get depends on:

  • Where you live - each council runs its own scheme
  • Your circumstances (e.g. income, number of children, benefits, residency status) 
  • Your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner's income
  • If your children live with you 
  • If other adults live with you

You can call into the Civic Centre and speak to an Officer about a claim or you can speak to an Adviser from the Benefits Section by calling 01429  284188.

Email: [email protected]

Hartlepool Borough Council

Civic Centre

Victoria Road


TS24 8AY