Skip to main content

{{ root_page.title }}

Giving Blood

If you're generally healthy, weighing more than 50kg (7 stone 12lbs) and aged between 17 and 65, you can do something amazing.... you can become a blood donor.  96% of us rely on the other 4% to give blood.  In general, you will be able to give blood if you:

  • are aged between 17 and 65 years old (if its your first time)
  • weigh at least 7st 12lb
  • are in goood health (e.g. no coughs, cold or flu)

Blood has a short shelf life AND is always required with hospitals in England and North Wales needing around 7,000 units of blood every day to treat patients.  Male donors can donate 4 times in 12 months with a minimum interval of 12 weeks between donations.  We advise female donors to donate at an average of 16 weeks or more to reduce the risk of iron deficiency.

For more information visit