Below are some examples of how to keep safe on Public Transport:
How to keep safe on buses:
- If you can, sit near the driver.
- Tell the driver if someone bothers you.
- Find out the times of the bus you want so you do not have to wait too long.
- When you travel at night, try to wait for your bus at a brightly lit bus stop.
- If you can, travel with friends or someone you know.
- Get off the bus at the stop nearest to your home.
How to keep safe on trains:
- Find out the times of the train you want so you do not have to wait too long.
- Make sure you know the time of the last train.
- If you are alone on a platform waiting for the train, stay in a brightly lit area.
- If you can, find a busy carriage. It is safer to sit in a carriage where there are many people.
- If someone bothers or frightens you, get up and move away.
How to keep safe in taxis:
- Ask someone you trust to tell you the name and number of a good taxi company.
- Do not get into a taxi that just stops for you in the street.
- Book a taxi by phone or by going to the taxi office.
- Tell the taxi office what time you want the taxi to pick you up
- Ask for the driver’s name and the make and colour of car that will come
- When the taxi arrives, ask for the driver’s name and the name of the taxi company
- If you can, it is better to sit in the back behind the driver.
- Ask the taxi driver to wait outside until you get into your house.
- Book a taxi to pick you up from the train station if you travel late at night.
- Have your door key ready so you can get into your house quickly.