Skip to main content

{{ root_page.title }}

Adult Social Care

Respite Care

Respite care means taking a break from caring, while the person you care for is looked after by someone else. 

It lets you take time out to look after yourself and helps stop you becoming exhausted and run down. 

There are lots of respite care options. They range from getting a volunteer to sit with the person  you look after for a few hours, to a short stay in a care home so you can go on holiday. 

The person you look after could go to a day care centre. Or, a paid carer could visit them at their home to look after them. 

Your local council or local carer's centre can give you information about local support. 

Hartlepool Borough Council - ISPA

If you have ever telephoned Hartlepool Borough Council Social Care service for Adults, you will probably have spoken to someone in our ISPA Team - Integrated Single Point of Access (previously known as The Early Intervention Team). This is the first point of contact for anyone who would like help or advice from Adult Social Care. 

The Social Workers and Contact Officers take requests for help (called referrals) over the telephone or in person. ISPA deal with referrals for all areas of Adult Social Care, including:

  • Safeguarding
  • Social Work assessments
  • Occupational Therapy assessments

You can talk to ISPA about yourself, someone you care for, a relative or a friend. When you contact ISPA a Social Worker or Contact Officer will speak to you about the difficulties you or an individual you know are having. They will take some details about what support is already in place and they may want to speak to your doctor or district nurse too, but only with your permission. 

The Social Worker or Contact Officer will offer advice or suggest things you can do that might improve your circumstances. This will include looking at Hartlepool Now (this website) where there is advice, information and activities on a range of services that are available to you. If however, they feel it is appropriate they will pass your referral on to the relevant team who will arrange to visit you and look at your needs and eligiblity for Social Care.  

Telephone: 01429 523390
Email: [email protected]

Sheltered Accomodation

Sheltered housing could suit you if you want to live independently but need a but more support, or if you:

  • Want to live in a smaller and easier-to-manage home
  • It is usually only available to those aged 55 and over

Some common features of sheltered housing include:

  • Help from a scheme manager (warden), or support staff
  • 24-hour emergency help through an alarm system
  • Communal areas, such as gardens or lounges
  • Social activities for residents 

Features vary from scheme to scheme, at some schemes you get more support than others. If you're interested in a particular scheme, make sure you understand what services are available, how much they cost and whether you would be eligible for any help with these costs. 

Meals, help around the home and personal care services such as help with bathing are not usually provided. You can arrange a package of services from the local authority or a private care agency.

Please check the Directory for a list of sheltered accommodation in Hartlepool.