Below are some tips to prevent poisoning when living at home: 

  • Never try to heat your home with your stove, oven, or grill since these can give off carbon monoxide, which is a gas that you cannot see or smell, but can be deadly.
  • Make sure there is a carbon monoxide detector near all bedrooms, and be sure to test and replace the battery twice a year.
  • Keep all medications in their original containers so you don’t mix them up.
  • Ask your pharmacist to put large-print labels on your medications to make them easier to read.
  • Take your medications in a well-lit room, so you can see the labels.
  • Bring your pill bottles/ boxes with you to your doctor’s appointments so he or she can look at them and make sure you are taking them the right way.
  • Never mix bleach, ammonia or other cleaning liquids together when you are cleaning. When mixed, cleaning liquids can make deadly gases.