Below are some tips of how to keep your home safe:
- Keep front and back doors locked at all times. If you open the windows, keep them on the catch. Remember to close and lock them if you go out.
- Put door and window keys somewhere safe. You need to be able to find them quickly if you need to get out.
- Keep money and all important things away from windows. If there is a safe in your home, keep money and all important things in the safe.
- When you go out at night, keep a light or a radio on, and close the curtains. This makes it look like someone is at home.
- Do not keep large amounts of money at home.
- Put your money in a safe place like a bank or post office.
- Try not to go out and return home at exactly the same times each day. If you come and go at different times each day, it will be harder for strangers to know when to expect your home to be empty.
- Have a younger person record the message on your answering machine. A male voice is best.