Below are some examples of how to keep safe when you are out and about:
Before you go out:
- Plan where you are going and how to get there.
- Keep your money, mobile phone and keys in a safe place like your bag or pocket, so they do not get lost or stolen.
- If you can, tell someone where you are going and when you will be back
- Take only the money you will need. Keep some in your wallet or purse and some in your pocket.
- Take a mobile phone if you have one, and the phone number of someone you know. Take some money if you want to make a call from a public phone.
- If you have one, take a personal attack alarm with you. Keep it where you can find it easily. Make sure you know how to use it.
When you are out:
- If you can, go out with friends or someone you know.
- Look like you know where you are going and you know how to get there.
- If you can, keep away from quiet, dark places.
- Wear your bag across your body or under your coat.
- Keep your bag with you at all times.
- Do not carry all your money and important things in one bag.
- Do not get into a car with someone you don’t know.
- If you use a wheelchair, think about where would be the safest place to carry your bag.