Skip to main content

Service summary

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work. Universal Credit will replace the following benefits: • Child Tax Credit • Housing Benefit • Income Support • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) • Working Tax Credit If you currently receive any of these benefits, you cannot claim Universal Credit at the same time. Universal Credit is being introduced in stages across the UK. You do not need to do anything until you hear from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about moving to Universal Credit, unless you have a change in circumstances. You cannot claim Universal Credit if you either: • get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it • got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you’re still eligible for it If you have a change of circumstances that affects the severe disability premium or your other benefits, report it and you’ll be told what to do next. You may be able to get Universal Credit if: • you’re on a low income or out of work • you’re 18 or over (there are some exceptions if you’re 16 to 17) • you’re under State Pension age (or your partner is) • you and your partner have £16,000 or less in savings between you • you live in the UK The number of children you have does not affect your eligibility for Universal Credit, but it may affect how much you get. If you live with your partner, your partner’s income and savings will be taken into account, even if they are not eligible for Universal Credit. You can make a new Universal Credit claim if any of the following apply: • you have limited capability for work or you have medical evidence and are waiting for a Work Capability Assessment • you’re caring for a severely disabled person • you’re responsible for a child • you’re in a couple with responsibility for at least one child and your partner is eligible for Universal Credit • you’re pregnant and it’s 11 weeks or less before your expected week of childbirth • you’ve had a child in the last 15 weeks • you do not have parental support, for example you’re estranged from your parents and you’re not under local authority care You can make a new Universal Credit claim if any of the following apply: • you live with your partner and they’re eligible for Universal Credit • you’re responsible for a child, either as a single person or as a couple • you’re disabled and entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have limited capability for work • you’re in ‘non-advanced education’ (for example studying for A levels or a BTEC National Diploma), are 21 or under and do not have parental support You and your partner can claim Universal Credit as a couple if one of you is under State Pension age and eligible for Universal Credit. When you both reach State Pension age your Universal Credit claim will stop. You may be able to apply for Pension Credit or other benefits as a couple when your Universal Credit stops. Ask your Jobcentre Plus work coach what else you could be eligible for. Your Universal Credit payment is made up of a standard allowance and any extra amounts that apply to you, for example if you: • have children • have a disability or health condition which prevents you from working • need help paying your rent How much Universal Credit you get will depend on your earnings. Your circumstances are assessed every month and what you’re paid may change. The benefit cap may limit the total amount of benefit you receive. If you have 1 or 2 children, you’ll get an extra amount for each child. If you have 3 or more children, you’ll get an extra amount for at least 2 children. You can only get an extra amount for more children if any of the following are true: • your children were born before 6 April 2017 • you were already claiming for 3 or more children before 6 April 2017 • other exceptions apply You’ll get an extra amount for any disabled or severely disabled child - no matter how many children you have or when they were born. You could get money to help pay your housing costs. How much you get depends on your age and circumstances. The payment can cover rent and some service charges. If you’re a homeowner, you might be able to get a loan to help with interest payments on your mortgage or other loans you’ve taken out for your home. If you receive Universal Credit you may also be able to get other financial support depending on your circumstances. If you’re employed, how much Universal Credit you get will depend on your earnings. Your Universal Credit payment will reduce gradually as you earn more - for every £1 you earn your payment reduces by 63p. There’s no limit to how many hours you can work. Use the benefits calculator on the website to see how increasing your hours or starting a new job could affect what you get. You can earn a certain amount before your Universal Credit is reduced if you or your partner are either: • responsible for a child or young person • living with a disability or health condition that affects your ability to work This is called a ‘work allowance’. Your work allowance is lower if you get help with housing costs. Telephone: 0800 328 5644

Service provider

Universal Credit

Client Groups Served

  • Children and Young People
  • Adult Working Age
  • Older Person
  • Parent / Carer
  • SEND Local Offer


Physical Environment Accessibility

Are your premises accessible?

Other Accessibility

Could you provide a BSL interpreter?
You you cater for religious/cultural needs?
Is a referral required to access your service?