Skip to main content

Service summary

Council Tax Reduction

Help, Information and Advice about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction is financial assistance to help pay for your rent and Council Tax. It is administered by Hartlepool Borough Council and is based on regulations set by the government.

Apply to your local council for Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support).

Council Tax Reduction replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013.

You could be eligible if you’re on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%. You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you get depends on:
• where you live - each council runs its own scheme
• your circumstances (e.g. income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
• your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
• if your children live with you
• if other adults live with you

You can call into the Civic Centre and speak to an Officer about a claim or you can speak to an Adviser from the Benefits Section by calling 01429 284188.

Service provider

Hartlepool Borough Council

Client Groups Served

  • Adult Working Age
  • Older Person
  • Parent / Carer


Physical Environment Accessibility

Are your premises accessible?

Other Accessibility

Could you provide a BSL interpreter?
You you cater for religious/cultural needs?
Is a referral required to access your service?