Help, Information and Advice about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction is financial assistance to help pay for your rent and Council Tax. It is administered by Hartlepool Borough Council and is based on regulations set by the government.
Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit.
You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following is true:
• you’re getting the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
• you got or were entitled to the severe disability premium within the last month and are still eligible for it
• you have reached State Pension age
• you live in temporary accommodation
• you live in sheltered or supported housing with special facilities such as alarms or wardens
If not, you’ll need to claim Universal Credit instead. https://www.hartlepool.gov.uk/housingbenefit
Use a benefits calculator to check if you can get Housing Benefit before you apply.
Hartlepool Borough Council
Client Groups Served
- Adult Working Age
- Older Person
- Parent / Carer