Skip to main content

Service summary

Housing Benefit

Help, Information and Advice about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction is financial assistance to help pay for your rent and Council Tax. It is administered by Hartlepool Borough Council and is based on regulations set by the government.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if one of the following is true:
• you’re getting the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
• you got or were entitled to the severe disability premium within the last month and are still eligible for it
• you have reached State Pension age
• you live in temporary accommodation
• you live in sheltered or supported housing with special facilities such as alarms or wardens

If not, you’ll need to claim Universal Credit instead.
Use a benefits calculator to check if you can get Housing Benefit before you apply.

Service provider

Hartlepool Borough Council

Client Groups Served

  • Adult Working Age
  • Older Person
  • Parent / Carer


Physical Environment Accessibility

Are your premises accessible?

Other Accessibility

Could you provide a BSL interpreter?
You you cater for religious/cultural needs?
Is a referral required to access your service?