Concessionary bus fares
Concessionary Fares - are you eligible for a bus pass?
The age of eligibility for concessionary travel for women is pension age and for men it is the pensionable age of a woman born on the same day.
The state pension age for women is rising by five years over a period of ten years. The age of eligibility will rise in stages between 2010 and 2020. The earliest age for men and women to get bus passes will therefore rise gradually, from age 60 on 6 April 2010 to age 65 on 5 April 2020.
Individuals who have any of the following disabilities are entitled to a travel pass:
• Are blind or partially sighted
• Are profoundly or severely deaf
• Are without speech
• Have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long term adverse effect on your ability to walk
• Do not have arms or have long term loss of use of both arms
• Have a learning disability, i.e. a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
• Would, if he/she applied for the grant of a license to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have his/her application refused pursuant to Section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs and alcohol
Disability Living Allowance (higher rate mobility component)
Applicants who are in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (higher rate mobility component) will automatically qualify for a bus pass. Applicants are simply required to provide their entitlement letter when applying for their pass (an application form is not required).
Applicants who are registered blind automatically qualify for a bus pass. They are required to produce their blind registration card when applying for their pass (an application form is not required).
If you do not automatically qualify for a concessionary bus pass, an assessment can be arranged by contacting Customer Services on 01429 523331.
Hartlepool Borough Council
Client Groups Served
- Parent / Carer
- SEND Local Offer