Skip to main content

Service summary

STARS (Previously known as Children's Service for the Visually Impaired)

The Children's Service for the Visually Impaired (CSVI) is a service funded by the council to provide support for children and young people who have been diagnosed with a visual impairment. CSVI aims to ensure that all children reach their academic potential, and are active members of society.

CSVI staff help children, their parents, and adults who work with the child to understand the visual impairment, and how it may affect the child’s day to day life, both at home and at school. They are teachers with specialist training in supporting children with sight loss, not opticians.

The service has an open referral system. After working with a child and assessing their vision, we'll use nationally-agreed criteria to decide on a suitable level of support.

The level of support can vary from weekly visits to the home to help develop vision in young babies, through to termly visits into school to ensure that teachers are aware of any adaptations that are needed to help with access.

There are also specialist bases available for those children who may need a tactile curriculum.
CSVI runs a regular parent and toddler group to give support and advice to parents, as well as a social group for 8 -13 year olds to help develop social skills and awareness of their peers across the Teesside area.

Children are frequently taken on residential activities to help develop their independence and life experiences.
Support to help develop independent living skills is provided by a habilitation officer, who will visit homes and schools to make sure they are suitable and safe, and also work with individuals to help them overcome any difficulties.
An IT advisor and specialist support officer will work with children and schools to help them develop access to technology.

Service provider

Middlesbrough Council

Client Groups Served

  • Children and Young People
  • SEND Local Offer


Physical Environment Accessibility

Are your premises accessible?

Other Accessibility

Could you provide a BSL interpreter?
You you cater for religious/cultural needs?
Is a referral required to access your service?