Sarah Major offers a mat based Pilates class at K2 every week on Monday and Thursday evenings from 6.15pm.
The classes are small and friendly, with men and women of all ages welcome.
Pilates is a form of exercise which concentrates on strengthening the body with an emphasis on core strength. This helps to improve general fitness and overall well-being.
Pilates concentrates on posture, balance and flexibility plus the chance of injury is much lower than with other more strenuous forms of exercise.
While doing the various exercises your mind needs to be constantly aware of your breathing and the way your body moves.
As Pilates focuses on core strength, posture and flexibility the health benefits include:
1. Good posture - Pilates will teach you to gain and maintain good posture. The exercises require that your body is always in alignment, this is especially beneficial if you suffer from lower back pain.
2. Muscle Tone - the exercises involve the use of muscles that could be weak or unbalanced. This is especially good for older people and those who are normally quite sedate in their daily life as muscle tone is usually lost with age and inactivity.
3. Flat abdominal muscles - as Pilates focuses on strengthening your core, which includes your abdominal muscles, you'll find that one of the benefits of Pilates is that it will result in a flat stomach.
4. Flexibility - as we age we tend to lose the flexibility we had when we were young. Pilates will restore your flexibility, after a while you'll be amazed at how much more flexible your body has become. This is especially important for avoiding injuries from falls.
5. Improves your balance - through the mind-body connection which is taught in Pilates you will become much more aware of how your body moves and performs. Pilates not only improves your physical balance through correct posture but will also restore your mind-body balance.
6. Reduces stress - when doing the mat based exercises, you'll be totally engrossed, you'll be more focused on your breathing and on the moves that you are making with your body. This is an excellent way to relieve stress.
7. Gives you a general sense of well-being - as Pilates focuses on providing balance between your mind and body it gives you an overall sense of well-being.
If you would like to learn more about Pilates with Sarah at K2, please call 07760 254096 or drop in to a class.