published on 23 March 2016
Development through sport via Sports Leaders UK employability qualifications, volunteering and work experience.
Sport+ will improve the engagement and achievement of young people who are not in education, employment or training (NEET), aged 16-19. It will combine accredited, non-classroom based programmes in sports leadership and employability with direct work experience opportunities.
Academic research and Ambition's previous experience indicates that the combination of sports-based personal development, intensive support and practical work experience is an effective means of improving young people's confidence, equipping them with the emotional capabilities needed to succeed in education and employment. Young people will work on a Personal Action Plan which will define their goals and outline clearly the steps they need to take to progress towards them. The self-esteem that comes from achieving success will encourage young people to be more aspirational and the relationships and qualities developed on the programme will help them to find the resilience to pursue their goals.
Sport+ will include the following elements:
- Level 1 & 2 Awards in Sports Leadership
- Women, Get Set, Go (personal development through sport) non-assessed award
- ASDAN employability placements (approx 10 days)
- Mentoring Programme (approx 3 months)
The programme will achieve the following outcomes:
- Increased attendance and engagement in education
- Improved emotional capabilities (increased confidence, communication skills and resilience)
- Increased employability skills (teamwork, problem solving, self-management and leadership)
For any further information, please contact:
Katie Mackay - Engagement Worker
(07899404966 / 01642 664440)
Brian Baines - NEET Co-ordinator
(07505724805 / 01429 221832)