Emotional Abuse & Safeguarding Mental Health
Without the visible signs of physical abuse, emotional abuse can stay hidden for years.
Emotional and psychological abuse can include:
- Threats of harm or verbal abuse.
- Deprivation of contact or refusal of visitors.
- Restricting personal choice and refusing to respect privacy.
- Blaming, controlling, or intimidating behaviour.
- Coercion and harassment.
- Removing mobility or communication aids, or intentionally leaving someone unattended when they need assistance.
- Forced isolation, or withdrawal from services or support networks.
Coercive control is often prevalent in domestic abuse cases. This is a form of psychological abuse which is a recognised criminal offence. Read our Guide on Clare’s Law.
For more details visit: https://www.tsab.org.uk/key-information/general-public/psychological-abuse/
See it - Report it! Contact Hartlepool Borough Council iSPA team today on 01429 523390 or email iSPA@hartlepool.gov.uk