published on 22 March 2018
The North of Tees Dementia Collaborative are launching their 2018 Forget Me Not Campaign to raise awareness of dementia during Dementia Awareness Week - 21st to 27th May 2018. Our teams will be out and about during this week taking with them your creations and asking for a donation.
The flowers are really easy to make, there is no right or wrong style as long as they have fight light - mid blue petals with a yellow centre.
Below are instructions on how to knit/crochet a flower but there are plenty of other free patterns on the internet.
Feel free to make them into a brooch, just glue/sew a peice of felt on the back of the flower, attach a small safety pin and drop them off at one of the establishments listed below.
To knit a flower:
Cast on 40 stitches using 4mm needles and blue yarn Row 1: Knit Row 2: *Knit 1, cast off 6 stitches, repeat * till the end.
Use a yellow yarn, thread through the stitches then pull tight, sew around the middle to make the centre of the flower.
To crochet a flower:
Using your yellow yarn ch4, sl st in 1st ch to form loop, crochet 10sc into loop, join blue yarn with sl st to join round - (10)
You can alternatively work 10sc into a magic circle, pull to tighten and join your blue/purple yarn with a sl st to join round - (10)
*[1sc, 1dc, 1tr] in next st, ch1, sl st in previous tr, [1tr, 1dc, 1sc] in next st* repeat from * to * another 4 times until you have 5 petals, sl st in next st (same st as first half of first petal), fasten off and tie in all tails.
Once completed flowers can be dropped off at any of the following:
- Approach Training Safely, Brougham Enterprise Centre, Brougham Terrace, Hartlepool
- Hartfields Retirement Village, Bishop Cuthbert, Hartlepool
- Community Hub South, Owton Manor, Hartlepool
- Headland Library, Hartlepool – Opening times: Tues & Fri, 10:00-1:00pm, 2:00-5:00pm, Sat 10:00-12:00
- Seaton Library, Hartlepool – Opening times: Tues, Thurs & Fri, 10:00-1:00pm – 2:00-5:00pm, Sat 10:00-12:00
- Throston Library, - Opening times: Wed & Thurs 10:00-1:00pm – 2:00-5:00pm, Sat 10:00-12:00
- The Bridge, Villiers Street, Hartlepool (next to Mary Lambert’s Bakery)
- The LiveWell Dementia Hub, Thorntree Road, Thornaby
- Stockton Central Library
- Billingham Central Library
- Thornaby Central Library
- Yarm Library
- Reception, Tithebarn House, High Newham Road, Hardwick Estate, Stockton-on-Tees
All funds raised will go to Dementia Friendly Hartlepool and Dementia Friendly Stockton. For more information contact: Elaineheal@nhs.net Tel: 07775 750929
Thanks again for your offer of help to make the North of Tees a more dementia friendly environment.